Do you think your child has a reading problem? Well, several parents around the world notice their children struggling with reading. Fortunately, this is not something that cannot be resolved. With a little bit of your help and by getting quality assistance of a teacher utilising teaching resources, your child will do just fine. All it takes is a bit of resilience and time. If you are not absolutely sure whether your child faces a reading problem, lookout for these signs mentioned below.
1. Your child doesn’t know the sound of the letters.
2. Reading is frequently distorted, instead of being smooth and fluent.
3. Doesn’t pay attention to the punctuation throughout the reading.
4. Skips certain lines, or reads the same line more often.
5. Sound out every single word, even after reading them.
6. Reading words in the wrong order.
7. Ignoring smaller words including to, of, a, were, from, and the.
8. Experiencing difficulties in reading the words listed in teaching resources, such as flashcards.
9. Includes additional letters in a word while reading.
10. Mixing up the letters in a word. For instance, reading the word ‘left’ as ‘felt’.
11. Avoids reading altogether, since they find it too hard to do so.
12. Substitutes words while reading, even if they are dissimilar. For instance, ‘stand’ instead of ‘slide’.
Reasons Behind Reading Problems in Children:
Notice any of the above signs in your child? Don’t fret. There are a number of reasons why children struggle with reading.
• A child with Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) will have problems reading quite often. But it is possible to help your child improve the skill using some effective teaching techniques and learning materials.
• Children with vision problems would also develop reading issues. A paediatric ophthalmologist can figure out the problem and recommend the right solution for the same.
• Another possible reason is Dyslexia. This is a common learning disorder, the symptoms of which varies from person to person. Contact a qualified medical professional for help in this regard.
• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and autism are other reasons that could impact one’s reading ability.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that every child struggling with reading has any of the above conditions. Improper teaching or lack of practise is also a contributing factor for poor reading skills in children. You cannot expect a child to excel in reading within a week or so. While some children seem to pick up easily, others need consistent guidance using a teacher resource to improve. Reading and writing is hard work for kids.
Efficient teachers can help students in enhancing their reading skills in a fun and exciting way. They collect various resources such as posters and flashcards from websites for teachers, and utilise them to help students learn. Kids won’t get bored, and they’ll improve their reading skill at the same time. You, as a parent, can do your part at home and help your kids practise the skill as well. You will notice great results in no time.
The author is a writer who often publishes articles on health and education for their readers online. She also manages a website that offers a range of teaching resources online. Visit https://resourcesforteaching.com.au/ for more information.
11 Signs Indicating Your Child has a Reading Problem
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
Dental decay is one of the common oral problems that affect millions of Aussies. If left untreated, cavities can take a toll on your dental
A criminal lawyer is your first point of contact when you are charged with a criminal offence. When you are dealing with a criminal case,
Driving under the influence is a serious crime. Not only do you risk injuring someone in a car accident, but you put your own life
If you are charged with a crime, you need an aggressive criminal lawyer that will work hard to defend you. You need to choose someone